Selling a Rental Unit

The Basics

When an owner sells a rental unit, the tenant living in that unit may be evicted, but it is not automatic. If the purchaser wants to occupy the rental unit, or have a “close family member” occupy the unit, they can ask the seller in writing to give the tenant a Two Month Notice on their behalf, but only after all the conditions of the sale have been satisfied. However, if the purchaser does not plan on occupying the rental unit, or having a “close family member” occupy the unit, then they inherit the existing tenancy agreement. In other words, the tenancy continues under the same terms as before, except with the purchaser as the new landlord.

See TRAC’s webpage, Evictions / Two and Four Month Eviction Notices for Landlord’s Use, for more information.

If your rental property is for sale, your landlord and their realtor must respect your privacy when showing your unit it to prospective buyers. See TRAC’s webpage, Quiet Enjoyment, for more information. You can also use TRAC’s template letter, Selling a Rental Unit, to remind your landlord and their realtor of the rules they must follow.

When a prospective tenant or purchaser is viewing your rental property, try to be as honest as possible when answering questions. Section 47 of the Residential Tenancy Act allows a landlord to issue you a One Month Eviction Notice for Cause for knowingly giving false information.

If a real estate agent is breaking the law or behaving inappropriately, inform both the landlord and real estate agent in writing of your concerns. If the problem continues, you can consider filing a complaint with the Real Estate Council of BC.



Previous Legal Decisions


  • New owner must return security deposit